The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits AmeriCorps VISTA Program is committed to investing in its members’ professional development.
Our goal is to develop young nonprofit leaders who have a passion and commitment for empowering Minnesota’s diverse communities. As an MCN AmeriCorps VISTA, you will learn the ins and outs of nonprofits through hands-on experience and a supportive network of mentors and peers while building community and making lasting change.
We estimate that our members receive more than 120 hours of support and training throughout the service year.
These opportunities include:
- On-site orientation with your cohort to prepare you for your specific role.
- 72 hours of training through six full-day and six half-day professional development retreats.
- Access to MCN’s six conferences on finance, technology and communications, leadership, fundraising and essentials of nonprofit management. Together, these conferences are valued upwards of $1,000.
- $300 in funds for additional self-selected learning opportunities.
- Access to more than 60 MCN-hosted workshops at a reduced rate.
- Professional experience and connections made at individual host sites.
- A supportive peer-learning experience in a cohort of 20 National Service members.
In addition to MCN-specific training, AmeriCorps VISTA offers several professional development opportunities:
- Pre-Service Orientation (or PSO), which will introduce you to VISTA’s mission, history and policies.
- VISTA Blend, a series of online courses tailored to VISTAs (college credit is available).
- Monthly webinars dedicated to helping you have a successful service year and to prepare you for life after VISTA.
- The InterCorps Council of Minnesota, a peer-led organization charged with connecting service members.
AmeriCorps VISTAs receive unprecedented support for securing post-service opportunities:
- The Twin Cities has one of the highest rates of national service in the country. You’ll be able to tap this large, supportive network when finding and applying for a second service position, a post-service career or grad school.
- AmeriCorps Alumni are often willing to help with the practical aspects of finding a post-service opportunity by looking at resumes and hosting informational or practice interviews.
- AmeriCorps hosts grad school panels to assist service members applying to post-service educational programs. Some grad schools even match the Segal Education Award.
- AmeriCorps VISTA members receive one year of non-competitive eligibility for federal jobs.